Over The Next Few Days
Please consider the following over the next few days:
- Prepare a list of friends and relatives to be notified by phone, e-mail, card or letter.
- Arrange hospitality for visiting relatives and friends.
- Arrange for child care, if necessary.
- Delegate special needs of the household, such as cleaning, food preparation, etc., to friends and family who offer to help.
- Plan for the disposition of flowers after the funeral (to a church, hospital or rest home).
- Notify insurance companies of the death (requires certified Death Certificate).
- Check all life and casualty insurance for death benefits, including Social Security, credit union, trade unions, fraternal and military.
- Check on possible income for survivors from these sources.
- Locate the will or living trust and notify the lawyer and executor.
- Stop Social Security payments and determine eligibility for one-time death benefit and/or survivor benefits.
- If the deceased was living alone, notify the utility companies and landlord and notify the post office where to send mail.
- Review all debts and installment payments, including credit cards. If there is to be a delay in meeting payments, consult with creditors and ask for more time before the payments are due.
- Prepare a list of people to receive acknowledgments of flowers, charitable donations, calls, etc. Include a thank you to those who have given their time.